SWEET & SOUR CAULIFLOWER RECIPE - BY FEATURED GUEST BLOGGERS @SIXVEGANSISTERS
Hi! We are Molly, Emily, Carrie, M-K, Hannah, and Shannon - aka - the Six Vegan Sisters! We are all from Grosse Pointe, Michigan and was inspired to go vegan by our amazing Mama (all at different times within the last 6-ish years). Our Mom has been vegetarian since she was 15 years old (crazy, right?!) and she became vegan over six years ago. Growing up, she never forced her beliefs on us, but rather educated us by showing the amazing effects being vegan has on all aspects of our lives. We all became vegan for different reasons, but our end goal was the same - to be healthier, save animals and inspire. About a year ago, we started our Six Vegan Sisters Instagram account (@sixvegansisters) as an attempt to show the world how easy and sustainable the vegan lifestyle is. It is also a way for us sisters to stay connected no matter where our crazy lives take us. We all have different passions when it comes to food - whether it’s baking, cooking or eating, there’s a spot for all of us in the kitchen. We are so lucky and blessed to have the support of not only each other, but our parents as well! We would not be the people we are today without them. On top of our goal of inspiring others, we hope to someday write a cookbook and change the world one delicious vegan meal at a time.
INGREDIENTS YOU'LL NEED:
For the battered cauliflower
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup water
For the sweet & sour sauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or sub agave
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 1-2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger (chopped)
- 1-2 tsp. chili garlic sauce (optional)
- 1 tbsp. corn starch + 1/4 cup water
- 2 green onions (chopped)
- Sesame seeds
- Start by greasing a large baking sheet with olive oil & preheat oven to 450°F.
- Chop cauliflower into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, make the batter by combining water and flour. Mix well until there are no chunks.
- Dunk each piece of cauliflower into the flour/water mixture and let excess batter drip off before placing on the greased baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (flip halfway & cook until crispy).
- While the cauliflower is baking, make the sauce! In a deep pan, over medium heat, combine the soy sauce with the maple syrup and whisk.
- Then, add rice vinegar and sesame oil to the mixture and mix.
- Next, add the chopped garlic, ginger and chili garlic sauce (if using). Mix again.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup of water. Mix this until it is dissolved.
- Add the cornstarch/water to the sauce and mix on more time.
- Let the sauce cook until it becomes thick and sticky (you may need to turn the heat up a bit for this to happen).
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the cauliflower in the sauce and then transfer to a serving bowl. Top with sesame seeds and green onions. Enjoy!
FAVORITE SONGS RIGHT NOW:
"Malibu" by Miley Cyrus
"Play that Song" by Train
"Fighter" by Carrie Underwood & Keith Urban
"Party in the USA" by Miley Cyrus (this is and will always be OUR JAM)
"Body Like A Back Road" by Sam Hunt
FAVORITE INSPIRATIONAL QUOTE:
“The hardest part about being vegan is waking up at 5am to milk the almonds.” -Anonymous Vegan